Sunday, June 6, 2010

Mom's Visit to Normandy

I asked my mother, who has visited Normandy, to let me share the story of her visit there. Here is her response:

I was standing amidst the deep holes in the ground where bombs had landed, and where our boys were killed. I was looking over the sea and crying, and the little French girl, Phillipe's wife, who was with our group came up and put her arm around me and said, “Thank you so much for liberating us. We are all so grateful to you." Across the way were rows and rows of crosses. It is a very sad place especially since brother Bob was in the Navy during WWII, and so many of his buddies were killed. He said that blood rushed from one side of the ship to the other as it rocked in the ocean. It makes me sad just to think about it. Love Mom

Those men saved the world from Hitler, which was no small task. We are still free because of them.