Thursday, October 20, 2011

Acorn Squash Parmesan

I learned to like acorn squash in my early twenties. The first time I had it was on Gregory's Bald in the Smokies on an overnight hiking trip. I remember when our group got up there the neighboring campers were just finishing their supper of Beefaroni, and they kindly offered us their leftovers, which we hungrily scarfed down. They asked us what we were having for supper, and we told them steak, shrimp, pasta with olive oil and acorn squash. They though we were nuts, but we had J.P., a friend of mine who is a graduate of the Hyde Park Culinary Institute, so we knew we were going to eat well. He even brought a chef's hat and apron.

I found a recipe for Parmesan-Roasted Acorn Squash, pictured above, on the Noble Pig. I may try to work it in during the holiday season.