Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Restaurant Review: Cook Out, Knoxville, Tennessee


When I recently heard that the North Carolina hamburger chain Cook Out was coming to Knoxville, I was excited to learn that they serve a hamburger the way they do in my mom's home town of Hickory, North Carolina, which is with onion, mustard, slaw and chili. I had the opportunity to try one at the Cook Out at 2135 Kingston Pike yesterday. I got their smallest burger "Cook Out Style," at a cost of $1.90.

The burger was fresh, and the guy working the drive-through window was friendly. (I worked the drive-through window for a couple of years at the McDonald's store just up the street as a teenager, so I can be a harsh critic in this area.) I enjoyed the burger, but it doesn't compare to Homer's Windy City Grill in Hickory. I couldn't quite put my finger on the difference, but I think that Homer's chili is milder. I would eat at Cook Out again, but my hope of having a Homer's in Knoxville was dashed.