Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Book Review -- Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens


In my continuing effort to branch into reading fiction, especially some of the classics I've never read, I recently read Oliver Twist, by Charles Dickens. It is in the public domain and therefor available for free online via the Gutenburg Project.

The story was first published in serial form in the late 1830's, and it is set in the London of that day, so there were a lot of geographical references I didn't understand. The language is also a bit archaic to a modern reader, and I kept my dictionary handy to look up a lot of words we just don't use anymore.

In the beginning of the book, Oliver is one of those characters that is beset with one bad occurrence after another, and his circumstances get worse and worse, even when it seems they may be about to get better. Finally, however, justice prevails, and the bad guys are outsmarted and punished. Oliver and his friends, of course, live happily ever after. It was a good story, and it has been adapted to movies many times over. I'll have to check one of them out at our library sometime.