Thursday, April 9, 2015

Spring in the Smokies

My friend Johnny and his kids, Natalie and Teddy, pictured above, were on spring break in Gatlinburg this week. It had been about a year and a half since I'd seen them, so I drove up to hang out with them a bit. I was pleased to also get to see Johnny's mom, stepdad and aunt for the first time in several years.
As you can see, yellow trillium is blooming nicely in the woods behind Sugarlands Visitor Center. I saw a lot of it along the edge of Highway 441 between Gatlinburg and Townsend.
I thought a good easy walk for the kids would be the short hike to Cataract Falls, also in the woods behind Sugarlands. It was very crowded with tourists on spring break, so I climbed the hill to get a decent shot of the falls.
The kiddoes pose with Cataract Falls in the background.
Park Headquarters