Sunday, June 7, 2015

Peery's Mill Dam

As I mentioned yesterday, Sherry took Sarah up to Peery's mill to swim on Friday afternoon. She was surprised to learn that I had not been there, at least not in recent memory, and she was pleased to have enjoyed an outdoor recreation venue in Blount County that was new to me, so she suggested that we go back up this morning. As you can see, this picture is from just below the mill dam.
Sarah models a new tie-dye sun dress a friend handed down to her. This is just above the dam. The mill house was on the far side of the river.
I liked the gnarled roots of this wizened tree.

Sarah insisted that I try the swing, and I accommodated her. I have the feeling my arms are going to regret it next week, but it was a fun ride. The river gets deep pretty quick.

BONUS: Check out this video of the Little River at flood stage flowing over the dam in January 2013. The area is known to be treacherous if you aren't careful.