Sunday, August 9, 2015

A Visit to Hickory

Last weekend we visited Mom's home town, Hickory, North Carolina. We headed downtown for a bite to eat as soon as we got to town.
I wanted Sherry and Sarah to experience the Hickory Pool Room, now known as the Hickory Cafe and Arcade since they dispensed with the pool tables in favor of more dining space. At the Pool Room if you order a cheeseburger with everything, you don't get mustard, mayo, ketchup, lettuce, tomato and onion. That's what I think of as "everything" on a burger. In Hickory it means chili, mustard and onion. I was a bit taken aback the first time I was served a burger that way, but it grows on you, and it was the way I had my burger last weekend.
This is my Grandmother and Grandpa Isenhour's former home, where Mom grew up and where we visited Grandmother and Grandpa when we were kids. The driveway used to be lined with Hickory trees, but they are no more. There is one Hickory on the corner of the property, perhaps a descendant of the ones I remember climbing in as a kid.
Our cousins Jon and Carolyn were kind enough to put us up in their lovely house for the weekend, and we repaid the kindness by stealing Jon's telephone charger and Carolyn's sunglasses. They were most kind hosts.
Sarah and Charlotte are third cousins. We figured pizza would be easy and kid-friendly, and we dined at a Village Inn Pizza restaurant near Jon and Carolyn's place. Like the Pool Room cheeseburger, Village Inn pizza is just as good as I remembered it to be.
Jon and Carolyn's pool got plenty of use inasmuch as we had a beautiful weekend for our visit.