Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Table Rock

Once in the 1980's Mom, my stepdad Ron, my friend Tracey and I adventured out in Ron's white Cadillac in search of Table Rock, pictured above. We spent hours on the road trying to get to it without reference to a map, and the refrain of the trip was "It looks like we're getting closer, but it still doesn't look like you can get there from here."

At one point we were on gravel back roads getting low on gas and we saw an access to the highway, but found it was gated when we got there, much to our dismay. We finally got back on the highway another way, got gas and finally made it to Linville Gorge and Table Rock.

I recently learned that Fraser's Sedge, a  wildflower, was discovered near Table Rock. I find that interesting because I have seen Fraser's Sedge in the Hangover Lead area of the Joyce Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness, which is also in western North Carolina.