Thursday, March 24, 2016

McClung Museum and the Torchbearer

Sarah and I recently visited the McClung Museum on the campus of the University of Tennessee at Circle Park. We paid a respectful visit to the Torchbearer statue, pictured here.
This dinosaur skeleton replica sits at the entrance to the museum. You can see McClung Tower in the background. During my time at UT it housed professors' offices, and I crammed a year of Russian language classes into one summer semester on the tenth floor of that building.
There was an interesting exhibit on the Maya. I was more interested in this than Sarah was, perhaps because I have visited the Mayan ruins at Tulum and Chichen Itza.
The museum has a permanent exhibit of Egyptian artifacts and replicas. Sarah was impressed by the mummified cats. She enjoyed this exhibit because she has been studying ancient cultures, including the Egyptians.