Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Audiobook Review -- The Children of Henry VIII, by Alison Weir


I recently finished the audiobook version of The Children of Henry VIII, by Alison Weir, as part of a larger effort to learn more about English history in order to know more about the larger context of early American history, which I have studied more closely. This book covers the reigns of Edward, Lady Jane Grey, "Bloody" Mary and Elizabeth I, although it really ends just as Elizabeth ascends to the throne. The clash within English society between those more inclined toward Catholicism and those more inclined toward Protestantism underpins the story of Henry's children and their interactions with their people and with each other. I found the book to be interesting, but would do not understand why the author didn't go into Elizabeth's reign, although perhaps she either has written or will write that book. This is one I just picked up off of the shelf at the library.