Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Restaurant Review -- Blue Heaven, Key West, Florida


I didn't get to do as much research about this trip as I would prefer, as we finalized plans rather late. I found several restaurants I wanted to try, and Blue Heaven was at the top of my list even before we realized that it is the subject of the Jimmy Buffett song "Blue Heaven Rendezvous." We realized it as we were listening to Buffett music on the drive down the Overseas Highway. As you can see, some of Key West's many chickens hang out there.
I expected to find cats in other places around Key West than the Hemingway home, but the only other kitties we saw during our four days on the island were at Blue Heaven.
I had pretty much decided before I left Tennessee that I would have the shrimp and grits at Blue Heaven for breakfast. They use local Key West pink shrimp, and for me it was the perfect breakfast to start our first full day there. They serve it with home made banana bread. Like everything on the island, it was pricey, and breakfast set us back around $50.00. Blue Heaven is at 729 Thomas Street, and we found free parking on the street nearby.